G.O.O.D. Music president Pusha-T is reflecting on surviving the biggest rap battle of 2018. The hip-hop veteran has shared a few thoughts on last summer’s epic Drake lyrical war.

According to Pusha, he picked the perfect time to drop his initial “Infrared” diss record aimed at the 6 God.

“It was always going to be, always going to happen. I was always going to get off. “Infrared” had to happen. We were doing the back-and-forth. He had “Two birds, one stone.” This is what rap is. He is… it is a machine in dealing with him. So we deal. But I had to do things at my own time. You can’t just jump out there. We’ve seen how that works when you just treat it like a street battle. It’s really not. You have to play chess. … Yes. It had to happen on my time. Not anybody else’s.” (Variety)

T also admitted he didn’t think the rap exchange would end so abruptly.

“I was in it for the long haul … for hip-hop. I thought this was going to be a running thing, back-and-forth. I was sure he’d have a rebuttal. I did what I wanted to do. I only deal in truth, how I see things. When you’re dealing with words, it’s a way of dealing with truth and how the pubic process that, how they interpret that. And what touches them and what touches the person you’re going against. I actually thought we were going to keep on.” (Variety)

Back in November, footage emerged of Pusha ripping Drake for allegedly having goons try to ruin one of his Toronto shows.

“Listen, let me tell y’all something. This n*gga paid some n*ggas to throw beer, n*gga! F*ck is that? Y’all know where the f*ck I’m from? You don’t even know! Keep going in this b*tch!” F*ck that, no, gangsta sh*t!”

The same week, social media exploded with footage of men disrupting Pusha’s Daytona tour stop.

According to reports on social media, three men rushed the stage and tackled Pusha-T during his set at Danforth Music Hall. Pusha-T eventually returned to the stage to perform a few more songs, but security ultimately pulled the rapper off the stage and ended the concert early. Police and paramedics responded to the scene and three people were taken to a local hospital with minor injuries. (Consequence of Sound)