The N.W.A. biopic suffered a slight mental setback this month after gunfire erupted near the set and injured one nearby civilian in California.

Details of the incident, which took place last week outside a Compton courthouse, surfaced online Tuesday (August 12).

We’re told the gunmen were NOT targeting the crew — but since they were setting up outside the courthouse the bullets came dangerously close. One nearby civilian was hit, and collapsed next to the set … but survived. The L.A. County Sheriff’s Dept. tells us the shooting is under investigation. They have not yet determined if it was gang-related. (TMZ)

Recently, ex-member Ice Cube promised personal feelings had nothing to do with late rapper Eazy-E‘s son not portraying his father.

“He’s an up-and-coming actor trying to do it but we needed somebody who was a little more polished to play Eazy, because he goes through a lot in his life. He goes from selling dope in Compton to fighting for his life in a hospital bed. So we needed to find an actor with a lot of range. And we just couldn’t use just anybody. We gave him a shot, and it just didn’t work out.” (KS 107.5)

Earlier this month, Lil Eazy-E blamed gossip site TMZ for misquoting him about not being cast in the flick.

Earlier this week, TMZ wrote that Lil E was “outraged” that Ice Cube had cast his own son in the movie but did not cast Lil E to portray his father. The younger rapper claims he was misquoted and that he has no ill will for Ice Cube. “[TMZ] just asked me, ‘You’re not mad? Everyone in the office is mad,'” he said. “I said, ‘OK, well, why don’t you put it that “TMZ is mad at Cube?”‘ ‘Oh, we can’t do that politically.’ If they can understand the political value in that, how can you not understand the political value of what’s going on in the situation in why I did not get the role? (Rolling Stone)

A photo of Cube, Dr. Dre and director F. Gary Gray with the new cast surfaced in June.

Dre will be played by classically-trained actor Marcus Callender, Ice Cube’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr. will fill in for his famous father, and Jason Mitchell (Broken City, Contraband) will take on the role of the late Eazy-E. Cube and Dre posed alongside the actors and director F. Gary Gray. “Finally found the cast for the NWA movie. Me, Gary Gray, Dre w/ Cube, Eazy & Dre #StraightOuttaCompton coming 8/14/15,” tweeted Cube. Straight Outta Compton hits theaters on August 14, 2015. Production is set to begin this summer. (Rap-Up)