Hollywood actor Jussie Smollett‘s possible attackers are now officially in police custody. New reports claim Chicago law enforcement arrested two men in connection to last month’s attack.
According to reports, the bust went down Friday (February 15) following initially police questioning.
The men–Obabinjo Osundairo and Abimbola Osundairo–were arrested Friday in connection with an alleged attack on Empire actor Jussie Smollett. The men were identified by their attorney, Gloria Schmidt. Police have not released any charges yet. (CBS Local Chicago)
— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 15, 2019
Despite the speculation, police are not caving into reports suggesting Smollett might have staged the attack.
“Interrogations will resume today with the two individuals and their attorney,” department spokesman Anthony Guglielimi said in a statement to The Times on Friday. Guglielmi again denied reports alleging that the attack was a hoax and reiterated that Smollett is being treated as a victim. “While we haven’t found any video documenting the alleged attack, there is no evidence to say that this is a hoax,” Guglielmi said. “The alleged victim is being cooperative at this time and continues to be treated as a victim, not a suspect.” (Los Angeles Times)
This week, reports emerged about Chi-Town police raiding the home of two persons of interest connected to Smollett’s attack.
Both men are Nigerian and were extras on “Empire.” Based on what the cops have already said, it appears these are the same men who were captured on the surveillance video. According to the report, police seized 5 bottles of bleach, a red hat, 2 laptops and other items. (TMZ)
BREAKING:Police raided the home of two persons of interest in Jussie Smollett case last night. Both men are of Nigerian decent and have appeared as extras on the show. Police took bleach, shoes electronics and more.Officers asked family if they knew #Jussiesmollett. @cbschicago pic.twitter.com/PDSFtf5jwb
— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 14, 2019
Despite speculation about Smollett possibly staging the attack, Chicago Police have not confirmed a set-up.
The station and a CBS affiliate both reported that cops suspect Smollett orchestrated the attack and enlisted the men’s help. A spokesman for the Chicago Police cast doubt on that narrative. “Media reports about the Empire incident being a hoax are unconfirmed by case detectives,” the spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi, said. “We have no evidence to support their reporting and their supposed CPD sources are uninformed and inaccurate,” he wrote, though the reports don’t specify the sources are law enforcement. (Page Six)