Boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. is clearing the air on a reported comeback fight going down next month in Tokyo. The sports mogul has released a statement to address the hype surrounding him and fighter Tenshin Nasukawa.

On Wednesday, Money Mayweather issued a public statement revealing the New Year’s Eve bout is not an official comeback bout and suggested it might not happen at all.

View this post on Instagram

Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regards to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the "Rizen Fighting Federation". What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of "One Entertainment" was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a "Special Bout" purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

Throughout the week, rap star 50 Cent and UFC fighter Conor McGregor have trolled Mayweather’s comeback fight going down next month.



According to reports, Mayweather’s decision came shortly after he signed a new promotional deal.

The boxer announced his decision after signing for mixed martial arts promotions company RIZIN Fighting Federation. Mayweather has never fought in MMA before and the format for the Nasukawa fight has not yet been confirmed. “I wanted to do something different,” said the former five-weight world champion. (CNN)

Mayweather’s opponent is more than half his age and has an impressive career record.

Japan’s Nasukawa, 20, competes in the RIZIN Fighting Federation, the company Mayweather has signed with, in both kickboxing and mixed martial arts. “It was a surprise offer but I accepted without hesitation,” said Nasukawa, who has a 27-0 record in kickboxing and a 4-0 record in MMA. (BBC)