Bad Boy Records CEO Diddy can breathe a little easier right about now thanks to prosecutors deciding not to pursue felony charges against him over a recent UCLA attack.
According to reports, Puff Daddy will now face misdemeanor punishment if convicted.
Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, said Thursday that prosecutors there have declined to charge Combs with felony assault and battery. Combs’ attorney, Mark Geragos, said he was grateful for the decision. “We are thankful that the district attorney rejected felony charges in this matter,” said Geragos, who is a CNN legal analyst. “This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with.” (CNN)
Diddy’s camp issued a statement on the arrest last month.
“The various accounts of the event and charges that are being reported are wholly inaccurate,” the statement reads. “What we can say now is that any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son. We are confident that once the true facts are revealed, the case will be dismissed.” (Statement)
Puff’s son Justin Combs has since thanked him for coming to his defense via Instagram.
Justin’s head coach issued a statement following the arrest.
“I’m thankful that our staff showed the level of professionalism that they did in handling this situation,” Bruins head coach Jim Mora said in a statement. “This is an unfortunate incident for all parties involved. While UCPD continues to review this matter, we will let the legal process run its course and refrain from further comment at this time.” (Statement)