Confirming his client Charles “Max B” Wingate was found guilty in a murder conspiracy trial today (June 9), attorney Gerald Saluti has spoken on behalf of the rapper and insisted the case is far from over.
In addition to speaking on Max, the lawyer said he planned to appeal today’s verdict.
“Max B would like to first thank all his family, friends and fans that have supported him throughout this trial,” he said in a statement. “Please don’t give up on him at this point. Although the jury has spoken and Max has been convicted of felony murder, kidnapping, robbery and conspiracy a swift and successful appeal shall follow. It is inconceivable that a jury would convict Max under the facts presented by the State. Even Gina Conway the State’s own witness testified that Max knew nothing of a robbery. Ms. Conway, a jilted lover and proven liar, said so at the trial itself. Max said after the verdict was read that he is confident that justice will eventually be served and he will be free. Max intends to continue putting out music for his fans while the appeal process grinds along. Although shocked by the verdict, Max remained grateful.” (Miss Info)
The rapper has reportedly been detained by police after being read a guilty verdict Tuesday (June 9) morning.
Max B’s verdict was announced just moments ago in the Bergen County Court House. He along with his brother were found guilty of 9 out of 11 counts. Max B was detained immediately. His sentencing date is set for July 30, 2009. Witnesses state Max B kept his head up and “took his verdict like a man”. He did not break down once and remained strong through the entire verdict. His attorney plans to appeal the verdict. (Hip Hop Stan)
Max previously spoke on his legal case and prepared for his trial earlier this year.
“I’m just gonna leave it up to God and my lawyer Gerald Saluti, you know,” he said in an interview. “Everything will work out. I’m just gonna let him do his job. I’m here on time. I’m at every court appearance, you know, I’m just here. People stay strong for me. Keep the support up.” (Max B TV)
It was Max’ former girlfriend who accepted a plea deal and implicated him in a fatal robbery.
Gina Conway and two others were charged with murder after a botched robbery at the Holiday Inn on Route 4 ended in the shooting death of one of the victims in September 2006. Conway met David Taylor and Allan “Jay” Plowden and told her boyfriend that the two men drove flashy cars and carried a lot of cash. The boyfriend, Charly “Max B” Wingate then recruited an associate to rob Taylor and Plowden, prosecutors said. (North Jersey News)
Max’s laywer, Gerald Saluti, previously spoke with SOHH about Max’s trial.
“It doesn’t hurt his case in the least bit. You’re talking about a person facing anywhere from 30 years to life basically attempting to snitch against Max and Kelvin Leerdam,” Saluti said. “It is our position that Max B will be completely vindicated after the trial, which I think will be starting in April — I relish the opportunity to cross examine Gina Conway.” (SOHH)
No further details have been provided as of now.
Check out some pre-verdict footage below: