After holding a grudge toward his former Bad Boy Records boss Diddy for over a decade, rapper Shyne claims he is back on good terms with the music mogul.
According to Shyne, they had a conversation and ironed all of their issues out.
“As far as Puff is concerned, that’s been a long time coming,” Shyne exclusively told MTV News of the conversation he and the Bad Boy CEO had earlier this month. “He had reached out to me twice while I was in the pen, but I just wasn’t ready for it.” Shyne wouldn’t elaborate on the details of his and Combs’ conversation, but he did walk away from the call in a much more positive place. “For me, the conversation was a confirmation of what I felt. Son kept it super tall, and that’s what it’s about. When a man says, ‘Listen, as a man, I make mistakes and I own that.’ What could you do?” Well what can they do? Surely the two can get back into the studio, but Shyne didn’t dish on any new musical developments. He did reveal that the two plan to have a second conversation, this time in person. “I just feel real good about moving on with our relationship. Me and son, we gonna get together in Paris — I’m in Paris right now. We gonna get together in a couple of weeks, and we gonna sit at the roundtable.” (MTV)
In summer 2010, Shyne said he did not understand Diddy’s lack of support during their 2000 court battle over a nightclub shooting.
“I don’t know whether he was nervous, afraid,” Shyne says of Puffy. “When you’re afraid and you’re emotional, that’s a different survival tactic. Those are the people that do anything, regardless of character and integrity, to preserve and protect themselves, regardless of who they hurt. I guess maybe that was the situation. Never been in a situation like that, where he facing years, and he got hundreds of millions and all that shit at stake. But where I’m from, doesn’t matter. You lose everything for your comrade. Again, if you’re in battle, I’ll catch a bullet, too. It ain’t like, Yo, he’s dead. Don’t make no sense for me to die, too. Nah, I’ma die, too! So you hope or you take for granted that all men are the same. But I know all men are not.” (XXL Mag)
Following his 2009 release from jail, Shyne lashed back at accusations from Diddy claiming they had patched their problems up.
“I want it known that this supposed conversation is a figment of Sean Combs’ imagination,” he says in a statement. “He never spoke with me, he never visited me nor would I ever accept a phone call or visit from him. The only way I would do either of those things would be if he stepped up and did the right thing for the victims of the incident.” (Rolling Stone)
Shyne’s time behind bars stemmed from a shoot-out at a New York City nightclub in 1999.
The fracas broke out on December 27, 1999, at a Manhattan nightclub where Shyne, Sean “Diddy” Combs with then-girlfriend Jennifer Lopez and their entourage had been partying. Around 3 a.m., Combs and Shyne allegedly began arguing with another group of patrons. Someone threw money at Combs, a gesture of disrespect, and guns started going off. Three bystanders were shot. Shyne, who police found with a pistol in his waistband, was arrested after bystanders identified him as one of the shooters. Shyne received a 10-year prison. Barrow has always claimed he acted in self-defense and only fired his gun after the other group, Matthew “Scar” Allen and his crew began shooting. (About)
Check out a recent Shyne interview below: