Michael Jackson’s Doctor Found Guilty Of Involuntary Manslaughter

Michael Jackson’s Doctor Found Guilty Of Involuntary Manslaughter

At the conclusion of a six-week trial, late musical icon Michael Jackson‘s personal doctor Conrad Murray has been convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the singer’s June 2009 death.

Murray’s verdict was announced Monday (November 7) after 48 hours of discussions amongst the trial’s jurors.

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor handed the case to the seven-man, five-woman jury Thursday after closing arguments by prosecutor David Walgren and lead defense lawyer Ed Chernoff. Over nearly six weeks of testimony, jurors heard from 33 prosecution witnesses and 16 defense witnesses. More than 340 exhibits were available in the jury room as the panel mulled a verdict. (USA Today)

The jury ultimately felt Murray allowed Jackson to meet his demise.

Jackson died in June 2009 from a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol, which Murray acknowledged giving Jackson to help him sleep. Prosecutors contended Murray gave Jackson the fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic in the bedroom of the singer’s Southern California mansion. Defense attorneys claimed Jackson gave himself the lethal dose when Murray left the room. (CBS News)

During the trial, details of Jackson’s final hours alive were learned.

During the last 24 hours of his life, Jackson sang and danced at a spirited rehearsal, reveling in the adulation of fans who greeted him outside. Then came a night of horror, chasing sleep — the most elusive treasure the millionaire entertainer could not buy. Testimony showed Murray gave Jackson intravenous doses that night of the sedatives lorazepam and midazolam. Jackson also took a Valium pill. But nothing seemed to bring sleep. Finally, Murray told police, he gave the singer a small dose of propofol — 25 milligrams — that seemed to put him to sleep. The doctor said he felt it was safe to leave his patient’s bedside for a few minutes, but Jackson was not breathing when he returned. (Fox News)

Currently held by authorities, Murray will be formally sentenced at the end of November.

A stone-faced Murray appeared to show no emotion as the verdict was read. Sentencing was set for November 29, with Murray facing up to four years in prison on the conviction. Judge Michael Pastor ordered Murray to be held without bail until that date, and Murray was led from the courtroom in handcuffs. (CNN)

No further details have been revealed as of now.

Also On The Web