Rap mogul Jay-Z‘s unexpected Samsung deal to exclusively promote his upcoming Magna Carta Holy Grail album has sparked the interest of record label executive Master P who now wants a piece of the pie.
With a new album on deck, Percy playfully admitted wireless provider Verizon could cash in with him.
“To be honest with you, I think it’s genius to partner up with a technology company,” Master P said of Jay’s big moves. “I’m working on [my album] right now and hopefully Verizon will call me real soon.” P went with his new idea, continuing, “My next record… I’ll drop it through them and do it at a football game or something,” he said, laughing and saluting Hov for continuing to think outside of the box. (MTV)
Samsung raised a few eyebrows after reports of the technology giant purchasing one million of Jay’s album surfaced.
The connection: Samsung has purchased 1 million copies of Jay-Z’s coming album, entitled “Magna Carta Holy Grail,” slated for release July 4, and plans to give them to Samsung Galaxy smartphone users for free – 72 hours ahead of the release. The users are to receive the music through an app they’ll receive later this month. (Recipients won’t be able to share it until the official release date.) Samsung paid $5 apiece for the albums, according to a person familiar with the matter. It wasn’t immediately clear if Nielsen SoundScan will count Samsung’s purchases in its sales tallies. (Wall Street Journal)
This new promotion even motivated Jay to boast about the rap game’s “new rules” on Twitter last week.
“If 1 Million records gets SOLD and billboard doesnt report it, did it happen? Ha. #newrules #magnacartaholygrail Platinum!!! VII IV XIII,” Jay tweeted June 17th.
“Kanye West “lead single” projected on buildings worldwide #newrules #magnacartaholygrail”
“J Cole app for listening session. Don’t talk just listen..#newrules”
Along with the new album, Jay is reportedly aiming to hit the stage at a secret New York show next month.
Jay-Z is planning a surprise concert atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater next month that will turn rush-hour Times Square into a gigantic street party, sources told The Post yesterday. The rapper is close to obtaining the necessary approvals for a July 8 “Late Show With David Letterman” performance, the sources said. The city killed the same plan in the summer of 2010 over concerns about crowd control and security. “If he gets permission from the mayor’s office, it’s going to be off the hook,” a law-enforcement source said. “They’ll have to shut down Broadway around the Letterman building. They’ll have to have a strong police presence. It’s going to be chaos with so many fans.” (New York Post)