Florida resident George Zimmerman gave his first interview since the fatal shooting of 17 year-old Trayvon Martin this week and denied accusations which suggest he may be racist.
In Zimmerman’s interview, the former neighborhood watch volunteer said he merely did his job with the lethal Martin scuffle.
In his first television interview, George Zimmerman walked through his version of what happened the night he killed Trayvon Martin. He said he does not regret being armed, nor does he regret his actions. “When I was in jail obviously, in solitary confinement, I had a lot of time to think and reflect,” he said. “I just think it’s a tragic situation. I hope it’s the most difficult thing I’ll ever go through in my life.” (MSNBC)
The 28 year-old man also publicly sent out condolences to the Martin family.
In his first public interview since the February killing of Trayvon Martin, accused killer George Zimmerman today apologized to the teen’s parents and said he is “sorry they buried their child.””I would tell them that again, I’m sorry,” Zimmerman told Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “I’m sorry they buried their child. I can’t imagine what it must feel like. And I pray for them daily.” (USA Today)
Looking back at what went down, Zimmerman claimed he wished death could have been avoided.
“I do wish that there was something, anything I could have done that would have put me in the position that I wouldn’t have to take his life,” Zimmerman told Sean Hannity on Fox News Channel. “I’m sorry that this happened. I hate to think that because of this incident, because of my actions, that it’s polarized and divided America.” Earlier in the interview, when Hannity asked Zimmerman if he regretted the specific actions of carrying a gun or getting out of his car to follow Martin that February night, the neighborhood watchman said that he didn’t. “I feel that it was all God’s plan, and for me to second guess it or judge it,” he said, trailing off. Asked, “Is there anything you might do differently?” Zimmerman said, “No, sir.” (ABC News)
He is currently out on bail after a judge raised his bond to $1 million earlier this month.
George Zimmerman was released from jail on Friday, one day after a Florida judge set bail at $1 million. Judge Kenneth R. Lester Jr. found that Zimmerman’s deceit over cash holdings at his first bond hearing in April was not enough to hold him without bail. However, he also said he believed the suspect may have been planning to flee the country to avoid prosecution in the killing of Florida teen Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman had to post 10% of the $1 million — or $100,000 — to meet the requirement for release. He wore a white dress shirt under a gray suit as he walked out of jail and into a waiting SUV. “We are confident and comfortable that George will be safe,” Zimmerman’s attorney, Don West, told CNN outside the jail following his client’s release. (CNN)
Check out George Zimmerman’s interview below: