New Orleans rapper Curren$y has finally spoken out on recent reports claiming he is seeking $1.5 million from ex-business associate Damon “Dame” Dash, confirming the legal case is in motion.
While mum on dishing out any details, Curren$y promised to fully speak on the matter after the smoke has cleared.
XXL recently caught up with Curren$y as he kicked off his “Jet Life Tour 2012.” The usually animated MC was very tight lipped however when talking about the case. “I don’t know what we gonna do, but when it’s all said and done, I’ll tell y’all about it,” he said somberly in his tour bus, parked outside the House of Blue before his concert. “Not ever disappointed,” Spitta said on his tour bus in New Orleans. “Any situation I ever been through I look at it as a lesson. Just learning something. It’s not something you should be disappointed from. It should be a opportunity for you to get some game. It’s all good. I’m glad. I’m glad.” The lawsuit still has not been resolved. (XXL Mag)
Before the lawsuit became publicized, Spitta credited Dash amongst other hip-hop executives for schooling him to the rap game.
During an interview with MTV News last week, the New Orleans MC admitted that he has learned a lot working with Dash, as well as other notable CEOs he was once signed to like Master P and Birdman. “You run the list, I’ve picked up game from all of them, man, Master P, Baby. Me and [Lil] Wayne made hours and hours and hours and hours’ worth of music in the studio, Dame,” Curren$y told MTV News on March 21. “I been around some people, made moves and soaked it all up.” Even though the union is now marred in negativity, Curren$y contends that it was a learning experience. “With my last situation, I think I’ve learned more about the business,” he said, referencing Dame’s DD172. “I’ve learned more about the business through that prior situation.” (MTV)
After the legal case made headlines, Dame’s camp issued an open response.
“My client’s initial reaction to the lawsuit was that of surprise, particularly in light of Curren$y’s numerous statements that the ‘Muscle Car Chronicles’ would be released by BluRoc,” states Damon Dash’s attorney, Joshua E. Seidman. “On March 15, 2012, the plaintiffs appeared in Federal Court to argue for a preliminary injunction seeking to enjoin my client from the continued distribution of the ‘Muscle Car Chronicles’. The plaintiffs’ application was denied in open Court by Federal Judge Andrew Carter and the album was permitted to remain available through iTunes and other retailers. While the situation remains ongoing, we are hopeful that an amicable resolution can be reached. My client wishes Curren$y the best in all of his future career endeavors. However, he has expressed a deep concern with respect to the manner in which the artist’s attorney and manager have conducted themselves. He sincerely hopes that Curren$y is not being misled or pressured into making unwise decisions, such as the filing of what appears to be a potentially frivolous litigation.” (Statement)
Details of Curren$y’s lawsuit began circulating online last March and has continued to mount a steady buzz.
Rapper Curren$y’s music is NOT to be trifled with — and to prove it … the MC is suing famed music producer Damon Dash, claiming he is hocking several Curren$y albums without permission. Curren$y filed the lawsuit against Jay-Z’s old biz partner and former co-owner of Roc-A-Fella Records — claiming he and Dash tried to negotiate an agreement to release music together in 2010 … but the deal never materialized. Curren$y claims Dash released two of his albums in 2010 — but the two still couldn’t reach an agreement … so Curren$y signed with Warner Bros. in January 2011. But according to the lawsuit, Damon was unmoved — and CONTINUED to release Curren$y’s music despite the new WB contract, which gave WB exclusive rights to Curren$y’s jams. (TMZ)