Pop singer Bruno Mars‘ legal woes surrounding his cocaine possession drug case have finally been resolved as the music hitmaker entered a guilty plea.
According to reports, if Mars remains trouble-free for a year, the charge will diminish.
Bruno Mars just formally pled guilty today to possession of a controlled substance. Mars was in a Las Vegas courtroom with his lawyer, Blair Berk, when Mars pled guilty to felony cocaine possession, but if he stays out of trouble for 12 months, the charge will be dismissed — as if it never happened. Mars is also required to do 8 hours of private counseling and 200 hours of community service with a charitable organization. He must also pay a $2,000 fine — which he’s paying today … because he has Bruno Mars money. Berk tells TMZ, “We are very pleased that the prosecution has agreed to dismiss the charge.” (TMZ)
Earlier this month, reports claimed the case would be finalized on Monday (February 14).
Pop star Bruno Mars told a Las Vegas judge Friday that he’ll plead guilty in state court on Valentine’s Day to a felony cocaine charge that would be wiped from his record if he stays out of trouble for a year. Defense lawyer Blair Berk said her client appreciated the chance he was receiving as a first offender. “We’re extremely pleased the charge against Bruno is going to be dismissed,” she said. The plea deal worked out last week calls for Mars to spend a year on probation, pay a $2,000 fine, perform 200 hours of community service and complete drug counseling. (Billboard)
Details of Mars’ original plea deal agreement landed online late last month.
Clark County District Attorney David Roger said Mars, whose real name is Peter Hernandez, will be placed on a year of informal probation. He must pay a $2,000 fine, perform 200 hours of community service, attend drug counseling and stay out of trouble. If the 25-year-old successfully completes those terms he will be allowed to withdraw his plea and the case will be dismissed, a common occurrence in minor first-time drug possession cases. If Mars fails, he will be adjudicated guilty and could face prison time. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Last November, Mars’ case was set to be delayed through December.
The 25-year-old singer’s trial, originally scheduled to take place yesterday (Nov. 18) in Las Vegas, has been postponed, according to attorney David Chesnoff. Mars–born Peter Hernandez–was accused of possessing 2.6 grams of cocaine when he was arrested following a Sept. 19 performance at a Vegas nightspot. He could face up to four years in prison if convicted on the controlled substance charge. Still riding the success of his hit single “Just The Way You Are,” the Hawaii native is due back in court Dec. 14. (VIBE)
Check out Bruno Mars’ “Just The Way You Are” down below: