While mega stars like Jay Z, Justin Timberlake and more have fallen back following reports they would boycott Florida until its “Stand Your Ground” law is abolished, music icon Stevie Wonder has received support from gospel group Mary Mary.
The music duo have confirmed they will not perform in the Sunshine State until a change is made.
“We will Stand with Stevie Wonder & Boycott Florida until the Stand Your Ground Law is changed! We love our fans but we MUST do something!!,” Mary Mary tweeted July 18.
“We understand a No from us isn’t as big as a No from Stevie Wonder but if all our voices join together we can REALLY change things!”
“Lets let our voices be heard #JusticeForTrayvonMartin” (Mary Mary’s Twitter)
Yesterday, denials from a few key music stars like Rihanna and Rolling Stone surfaced.
Representatives for both Justin Timberlake and Jay Z have not responded to repeated requests for comment from Complex, nor have they issued comment to any other news outlets. That hasn’t stopped an unnamed “executive affiliated with the ‘Legends of the Summer’ tour” from denying the news. The report originated from American Urban Radio Networks’ national affairs and White House correspondent April Ryan, who–in addition to Jay Z and JT–also cited the Rolling Stones, R. Kelly, Rihanna, Kanye West, Usher, Madonna, and many more who would be joining Wonder in his protest of Florida’s Stand Your Ground laws. Since it was picked up and repeated by the Huffington Post, reps for both the Rolling Stones and Rihanna have denied any part of a boycott. (Complex)
Additional reports claimed Young Hov had not yet nixed an upcoming Florida concert despite appearing in New York for a “Justice For Trayvon Martin” rally.
Justin Timberlake and Jay Z were also rumored to be part of the boycott but a Florida news outlet reported that the Legends of Summer tour would not be skipping its August date at Florida’s Sun Life stadium. Rihanna is another rumored boycotting celeb that has since been denied by a HP source. (Philly)
Following the alleged boycott from Jay-Z and music pal Kanye West, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart> appeared on a radio show to address the buzz and even took a jab at Young Hov.
“Look, thank God we live in a free country, and people can opt to be silly and foolish, but that’s a contrast — they go to Cuba, and that’s okay,” Diaz-Balart said Tuesday on the Laura Ingraham radio show. “They hobnob with the regime; that’s okay. But they won’t go to Florida, where we’re free. That’s their choice, but I think their priorities are a little bit off.” Jay Z and wife Beyoncé vacationed in Cuba earlier in 2013. They were criticized by Republican lawmakers who said the trip might have been a violation of the U.S. embargo on the communist country. (The Hill)