News: Jay Z's 12-Year-Old 'Magna Carter' Tour Performer's Mom Speaks, Addresses Set-Up Speculation
Tuesday, Jan 7, 2014 9:26AM
A day after footage of rap mogul Jay Z allowing a 12-year-old to steal his spotlight during a Magna Carter World Tour North Carolina performance surfaced, the kid's mother has come forward.
Despite mounted speculation suggesting it may have been a staged event, the kid's mom said the entire experience happened organically.
We spoke with Angela, who took her 12-year-old son Justin to the concert in Charlotte Saturday. She says Justin's dream was to "get noticed" by Hova and he was crushed when he was overlooked as he sat in the 8th row. Angela says on the ride home they decided to give it one more try, and she bought tickets to the Greensboro concert the next day. She says she was lucky and scored front row seats. Angela tells us nothing was set up. Justin jumped up with his sign and this time Jigga noticed. She says after the concert Jay Z was true to his word and took them backstage. They talked for 5 minutes about personal stuff. No numbers were exchanged and Jay said nothing about signing the kid. (TMZ)
Buzz behind the entire incident heated up the Internet yesterday (January 6).
Jay Z made one boy's dream come true over the weekend. The rapper was in Greensboro, N.C., last night for his Magna Carter worldwide tour, and while performing for a stadium full of people, one specific fan caught the attention of Hov. A 12-year-old boy was holding up a sign that read, "Can I rap for you?" Clearly, he was giving Jay an offer he couldn't refuse, because Beyoncé's man invited the young admirer on stage and handed him the mike. (E! Online)
Young Hov also assisted the 12-year-old with his raps with some suggestions.
The young fan took the microphone and managed to put his nerves aside before beginning to rap Jay's verse from "Clique." He made sure to steer clear of the curse words, but Hov had to cut in when the lyrics began talking about some not-age-appropriate things. Jay told him to skip "the drug dealing part" of the song. "Go back to the numbers," he said. So, he did--and killed it! Just as he finished, the audio for the track came on and the audience roared with cheers. Jay, all smiles, gave a huge hug to his young pal, who had one more request. "Can I meet you backstage?" he asked, and guess what? Jay said yes to that, too. (E! Online)
Last month, a 45-year-old man tried to convince security he was a Universal Music Group executive at one of Jay's Texas concerts.
Meet John Henry Johnson. The 45-year-old Texan was arrested Saturday evening after allegedly using a counterfeit "all access world tour pass" to gain entry to a Dallas arena hosting a Jay Z concert, police report. Johnson was spotted in a "secured area" at the American Airlines Center around 6 PM, 25 minutes before the venue's doors were open to the public, according to a Dallas Police Department report. He had gotten past a security guard by claiming to be "Gian Carlo Donatelli," a purported executive with the Italian division of Universal Music Group, Jay Z's record label. (The Smoking Gun)
Now show us if you have some Louisiana pride or co-sign any artists out in New Orleans! Get at us on Instagram with #sohhpix
Check out the performance footage: