News: Shawty Lo Says Who Needs Oxygen? "We Got 5 Or 6 Other Networks Right Now Interested"
Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 7:30PM
Atlanta rapper Shawty Lo has updated fans on the status of his shelved "All My Babies' Mamas" reality television special and hinted at plans of securing a new network deal.
While things fizzled with the Oxygen network, Shawty said his family series pilot has sparked interest from multiple outlets.
"It's just the legal process right now with Oxygen. We got like five or six other networks right now interested in the show. Basically all the people did is make the show bigger than it already was," Shawty Lo shared with Hip Hop Weekly Tuesday. According to Shawty Lo, the reality series was not his idea in the beginning and the purpose was not violence or financial gain. He just wanted to share his story. "People made assumptions that the show was gonna be violent or something or I was doing it for money, but you know, I never had money problems," the rapper claims. All of that said, would you support a network if they decide to pick up Shawty Lo's show? (Examiner)
Last month, "King of the South" T.I. reacted to his one-time rap rival's publicized television woes.
"I don't think I'm justified to really speak on it, man. That's not my family. That's his life and his story to tell. If he's willing to tell it and the people are willing to watch it that's between them. I think that should be left up to him and the people who it effects the most, his family. If they're cool with it...that's what should be on everybody's mind." (The Urban Daily)
Earlier the same month, Lo pleaded with fans to rally behind him and get "All My Babies' Mamas" back on the Oyxgen channel.
"Yeah I really understand. They have the right to think that, but at least give the show a chance, to see what's goin' on," Shawty said in an interview in response to the show's backlash. "They makin' their assumptions off a 13-minute trailer and this like the biggest news around the world right now and it's unbelievable. ... The show wasn't about, we finna be fightin'. My show is not about no negative; it's a positive. But if they wanna see the show, sign a petition." (Hot 107.9)
Days prior, confirmation on the family-oriented network pulling the show's plug surfaced.
"As part of our development process, we have reviewed casting and decided not to move forward with the special," a network spokesperson told MTV News in a written statement on Tuesday (January 15). "We will continue to develop compelling content that resonates with our young female viewers and drives the cultural conversation." (MTV)