Exclusive: Havoc Names One Of His Favorite Slaughterhouse Members: "He Stands Out To Me"
Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 2:30PM
With Havoc's "Tell Me To My Face" anthem still heating up the Internet, the Mobb Deep hitmaker recently chopped it up with SOHH about what inspired him to reach out to Slaughterhouse's Royce Da 5'9 for the guest feature.
Although Hav respects the entire hip-hop quartet, he said Royce easily stuck out as the one Slaughterhouse member he most wanted for his upcoming solo album's first single.
"His lyrical wordplay is just crazy, you know what I'm saying? It's like no matter how many times I try to do that, it's like, it's hard," Hav told SOHH, referring to his admiration for "Tell Me To My Face collaborator Royce Da 5'9. "He makes it sound easy. It wasn't even really a hard decision to want to get Royce for a feature because I also produced a track on [2011's] Bad Meets Evil, that was a record Eminem and Royce Da 5'9 did. So, you know, I already kind of had a feel for him and then with the Slaughterhouse, he was one of my favorite artists out of the group, even though I like all of them equally, he just kind of stands out to me." (SOHH)
Hav also said fans should expect another respectable guest feature on his next anthem.
"He hit me up and congratulated me," Hav added when asked if he had heard back from Royce since the record went viral. "I appreciated that. It wasn't one of those, 'Thank-you for the features. Bye.' He actually hit me up like, 'Congratulations Hav.' I really appreciated that. ... It's like I've got to keep it going with the features [since this release]. [laughs] My next single is definitely going to have another dope feature on it. I'm a producer, as well as an emcee, so it's only right that I feature artists on my tracks because most of the time I only have Mobb Deep on the tracks. So the next feature is going to be dope and I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag. The beat is definitely crazy." (SOHH)
Along with his new solo music, recent reports claimed a full-fledged Mobb Deep reunion tour is on deck.
It's official: hip-hop duo Mobb Deep's putting their beef on the back burner ... and officially heading out on a 20th anniversary tour later this spring ... TMZ has learned. The duo -- a.k.a. Havoc and Prodigy -- were entwined in an intense rap feud ever since Havoc tore into Prodigy on Twitter ... claiming among other things that Prodigy had engaged in a slew of jailhouse relationships during his 3-year stint in the slammer. But now, the two rappers have let bygones be bygones ... and recently announced they're headed back on the road together. First stop? The Paid Dues festival in L.A. this March. Sources close to the group say it's just the first of many shows -- and will act as the unofficial kickoff for their April world tour ... where they'll be celebrating 20 years as a group. (TMZ)
Last month, Hav spoke on being forced to evolve from an emcee to producer at the start of his career.
"I definitely started off as an emcee first," Hav said in an interview. "That's how I started, that's how I came into the game. Basically, how I became a producer was because we couldn't afford the beats. These producers were charging like a million dollars a track. We invested in a little bit of equipment, started making tracks and it had a life of its own. It was crazy. It was a lot of pressure, but I love pressure. Pressure creates diamonds. I just did it." (Converse Rubber Tracks: Oh, Hello)
Check out "Tell Me To My Face":