News: Shawty Lo Refuses To Give Up On "All My Babies' Mama" Drama
Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 1:50PM
Atlanta rapper Shawty Lo is reportedly not going down without a fight as new reports claim he is on a mission to get his controversial "All My Babies' Mamas" back after an announced cancellation yesterday (January 15).
According to his rep, there are over 120,000 e-mails supporting Shawty's shelved special.
Rapper Shawty Lo's controversial special about his 10 baby mamas and 11 children has been canceled by the Oxygen network, so his team is starting a petition drive of their own, RumorFix is reporting exclusively. Shawty's rep tells RumorFix that they are going to fight fire with fire. Kali Bowyer says they've received over 123,000 emails to their Atlanta offices from people wanting to save the show, so they are going to start their own petition. (RumorFix)
Yesterday, reports of the show receiving a pink slip flooded the Internet.
"As part of our development process, we have reviewed casting and decided not to move forward with the special," a network spokesperson told MTV News in a written statement on Tuesday (January 15). "We will continue to develop compelling content that resonates with our young female viewers and drives the cultural conversation." (MTV)
Buzz about it likely getting axed heated up the Internet earlier in the day.
Under public pressure, Oxygen won't let the new reality-TV series starring Shawty Lo see the light of day, sources tell Allison Samuels. But why was 'All My Babies' Mamas' ever given life to begin with? Though the network denies it, Oxygen is expected to announce that All My Babies' Mamas won't ever see the light of day, according to my sources--and that's a good thing. Still, I'm more concerned with how it ever reached this point. How could a network ever assume that a show about an African-American rapper with 11 kids by 10 women would be OK and not immediately deemed racist? How could it not see that it was offending, insulting, and mocking an entire segment of the African-American community? The answer is pretty simple. The network saw it; the network just didn't care. (The Daily Beast)
Prior to the latest update, an Oxygen rep came forward to deny claims.
Despite a petition that has received well over 40,000 signatures and the threat of a boycott from the Parents Television Council, a representative for Oxygen told AllHipHop.com exclusively that the show is still in development. "This rumor is simply untrue. The project remains in early development," an Oxygen rep told AllHipHop.com. (AHH)
For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out GetFrush.com.