News: Florida Woman Says George Zimmerman Molested Her As Child
Monday, Jul 16, 2012 4:00PM
A Florida woman has reportedly claimed George Zimmerman, the man responsible for killing 17 year-old Trayvon Martin in February, molested her over ten years ago.
According to reports, Zimmerman molested her when they were children.
An Orlando woman now in her mid-20s told investigators that George Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the killing of Trayvon Martin, molested her over a decade, beginning when they were both young children, according to an audio tape released on Monday. The woman, whose parents were close to the Zimmerman family, talked to investigators on March 20. Identified only as Witness 9, she said she had come forward now, a decade after her last encounter with Mr. Zimmerman, 28, because, after his arrest, she was no longer afraid of him. (New York Times)
The victim said she was groped on numerous occasions by Zimmerman.
The witness said that Mr. Zimmerman, who is about two years older than she is, first molested her when she was 6. She was staying in the Zimmermans' Virginia home while her mother and father were moving from Louisiana to Orlando, Fla. The woman said Mr. Zimmerman had groped her with his hands while they lay under a blanket as they watched television with a group of children. Other groping episodes followed, she said. She visited the family "at least once a year" and she was molested during some of those visits, she said, including once behind a curtain when she was 7 or 8 and another time on a bunk bed when she was around 12. (New York Times)
This all comes days after the 28 year-old's defense team requested a new judge for his publicized Trayvon Martin case.
The ex-neighborhood watch volunteer charged with killing Trayvon Martin asked for a new judge Friday, claiming the current one is biased because he said George Zimmerman had "flaunted the system." Zimmerman said in a motion he feared he would be unable to get a fair "stand your ground" hearing or a fair trial with Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester presiding over the case. Lester was appointed in April after Zimmerman claimed a potential conflict of interest with the original judge. (ABC News)
A judge allowed him to escape jail earlier this month after raising a bail bond to $1 million.
George Zimmerman was released from jail on Friday, one day after a Florida judge set bail at $1 million. Judge Kenneth R. Lester Jr. found that Zimmerman's deceit over cash holdings at his first bond hearing in April was not enough to hold him without bail. However, he also said he believed the suspect may have been planning to flee the country to avoid prosecution in the killing of Florida teen Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman had to post 10% of the $1 million -- or $100,000 -- to meet the requirement for release. He wore a white dress shirt under a gray suit as he walked out of jail and into a waiting SUV. "We are confident and comfortable that George will be safe," Zimmerman's attorney, Don West, told CNN outside the jail following his client's release. (CNN)