News: UPDATE: George Zimmerman's New Bond Hearing Date Revealed
Thursday, Jun 7, 2012 4:00PM
Although George Zimmerman is currently behind bars after getting his April bail bond revoked last week, the man responsible for killing 17 year-old Trayvon Martin is reportedly set to have a new hearing later this month.
According to reports, Zimmerman could have a bond request approved as early as June 29th.
George Zimmerman, who faces second-degree murder charges in the death of Trayvon Martin, will get a new bond hearing on June 29. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed the unarmed 17-year-old black teenager February in what he said was self-defense, had his bond revoked last week and was returned to jail. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester will preside over the bond hearing in Sanford, Fla., the court said in a statement today. Zimmerman, 28, returned to jail Sunday because his $150,000 bond was revoked after prosecutors claimed he and his wife, Shellie, deceived the court during an April bond hearing. (USA Today)
After receiving a 48 hour deadline last week, Zimmerman finally turned himself over to authorities on Sunday (June 3).
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer charged with murder in the killing of Trayvon Martin, surrendered to police Sunday and was booked into jail after having his bail revoked two days earlier. Zimmerman's legal team said in a tweet that he was in police custody. Zimmerman's bail was revoked because the judge said he and his wife lied to the court about their finances so he could obtain a lower bond. On Sunday afternoon, about 40 minutes before the 2:30 p.m. deadline to surrender, Zimmerman was listed as an inmate on the jail website. He was listed as being held without bail and having $500 in his jail account. (NPR)
Immediately following his surrender, Zimmerman's defense team revealed their plans to have a bond hearing set up.
The judge revoked Zimmerman's bond, suggesting he and his wife had not been honest about their finances. During a bond hearing in April, the couple had indicated they had limited funds. But prosecutors say Zimmerman had raised thousands through a website he had set up for his legal defense. Zimmerman's legal team said Sunday that they will ask for a new bond hearing to address those concerns, and that they hope Zimmerman's voluntary surrender will show he is not a flight risk. Furthermore, the money Zimmerman has raised is in an independent trust and cannot be directly accessed by Zimmerman or his attorneys, according to the press release. (Tampa Bay)
Reports of his bond complication became public knowledge last Friday.
George Zimmerman was ordered back to jail on Friday for misleading the court at his bond hearing about his finances. Seminole County Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Lester revoked the bail for Zimmerman -- who is facing a second-degree murder charge in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin of Miami Gardens -- after finding that Zimmerman and his wife concealed their access to a $200,000 account during a bail hearing in April. (Miami Herald)
For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out GetFrush.com.