News: Trayvon Martin's Mother Believes Fatal Shooting Was Accidental, "It Just Got Out Of Control" [Video]
Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 4:00PM
Less than 24 hours after Florida resident George Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder for killing 17 year-old Trayvon Martin, the teenager's mother has stepped forward claiming she believes her son's death was accidental.
For Sybrina Fulton, she thinks Zimmerman got caught in the moment and made a fatal mistake.
Trayvon Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton told the TODAY show Thursday that she believes her son's fatal shooting by George Zimmerman was an accident. "I believe it was an accident, I believe that it just got out of control and he couldn't turn the clock back," she said. "I would ask him, 'Did he know that that was a minor, that that was a teenager and that he did not have a weapon?'" she added. Martin's mom suggested that Zimmerman, who claims he killed Martin in self-defense, should apologize if he is remorseful. "One of the things that I still believe in: A person should apologize when they really -- when they are actually remorseful for what they've done," Fulton said. "I understand his family is hurting, but think about our family that lost our teenage son. I mean, it's just very difficult to live with day in and day out. I'm sure his parents can pick up the phone and call him, but we can't pick up the phone and call Trayvon anymore." (MSNBC)
Wednesday evening, Zimmerman was officially charged in Martin's February death.
George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, faces a second-degree murder charge for shooting Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager in Sanford, Fla., the special prosecutor in the case announced Wednesday. In a televised news conference, State Atty. Angela B. Corey outlined the charges in the case that has sparked national demonstrations calling for Zimmerman's arrest. "I can tell you we did not come to this decision lightly," Corey told reporters. "We do not prosecute by public pressure." She said her office had filed information with the charge. Zimmerman, who has maintained he acted in self-defense, was in custody, Corey confirmed, though she gave no details. He had been in hiding since the shooting after his family said he had received death threats. (Los Angeles Times)
Reports suggesting an official charge would be announced last night emerged online earlier in the day.
After weeks of mounting tension and protests across the U.S., a special prosecutor has decided to bring charges against neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, a law enforcement official said Wednesday. The official, speaking to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said prosecutor Angela Corey would announce the charges at a 6 p.m. news conference. The official said he did not know the charges. Corey confirmed only that she would make an announcement at that time. (Associated Press)
Further reporting claimed the shooting's location could heavily play into what Zimmerman got charged with.
Critical to the decision of the prosecutor will be whether or not the shooting fell under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, which gives wide leeway to people who claim self-defense, and which does not require people to retreat before using deadly force. The news conference is scheduled to be held in Jacksonville at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, according to an e-mailed statement from the special prosecutor's office. (New York Times)
Check out the Martin family's interview below: