News: Bruno Mars Addresses Publicized Cocaine Arrest [Video]
Saturday, Jan 7, 2012 9:52PM
Pop singer Bruno Mars has finally broken his silence on getting arrested two years ago in Las Vegas on cocaine possession charges.
Acknowledging the highly-publicized arrest, Mars said he has lived and learned from his mistake.
"I don't live my life with regrets. I don't dwell on anything. It happened," he explained in an interview, "it must've happened for a reason -- I think it's something that I moved past and I'm hoping everyone else that I come across will move past it sure." ("Piers Morgan Tonight")
Last February, Mars came to terms with the coke case and accepted a guilty plea deal.
Bruno Mars just formally pled guilty today to possession of a controlled substance. Mars was in a Las Vegas courtroom with his lawyer, Blair Berk, when Mars pled guilty to felony cocaine possession, but if he stays out of trouble for 12 months, the charge will be dismissed -- as if it never happened. Mars is also required to do 8 hours of private counseling and 200 hours of community service with a charitable organization. He must also pay a $2,000 fine -- which he's paying today ... because he has Bruno Mars money. Berk tells TMZ, "We are very pleased that the prosecution has agreed to dismiss the charge." (TMZ)
Earlier the same month, reports claimed the case would be finalized in a matter of days.
Pop star Bruno Mars told a Las Vegas judge Friday that he'll plead guilty in state court on Valentine's Day to a felony cocaine charge that would be wiped from his record if he stays out of trouble for a year. Defense lawyer Blair Berk said her client appreciated the chance he was receiving as a first offender. "We're extremely pleased the charge against Bruno is going to be dismissed," she said. The plea deal worked out last week calls for Mars to spend a year on probation, pay a $2,000 fine, perform 200 hours of community service and complete drug counseling. (Billboard)
Details of his original plea deal agreement landed online a month prior.
Clark County District Attorney David Roger said Mars, whose real name is Peter Hernandez, will be placed on a year of informal probation. He must pay a $2,000 fine, perform 200 hours of community service, attend drug counseling and stay out of trouble. If the 25-year-old successfully completes those terms he will be allowed to withdraw his plea and the case will be dismissed, a common occurrence in minor first-time drug possession cases. If Mars fails, he will be adjudicated guilty and could face prison time. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Check out Bruno Mars' interview below: