News: Michael Jackson's Doctor Breaks Silence, "I Would Hate To Put Blame On Michael As An Individual"

Friday, Nov 11, 2011 9:12AM

Written by Biz Jones

Late pop icon Michael Jackson's personal doctor Conrad Murray spoke out on the trial which ultimately found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter this week.

Although his taped interview on NBC's "Today" show is believed to have been recorded prior to the ruling, Murray reflects on the singer's death.

"I would hate to put blame on Michael as an individual," Dr. Murray told interviewer Savannah Guthrie. "I only wish maybe in our dealings with each other he would have been more forthcoming and honest, to tell me these things about himself." He went on to claim Jackson was "deceptive" about his medical history and his potential treatments by other doctors. "[I] did not have a clue," he claimed of Jackson's dependence on the anesthetic propofol, the drug that ultimately was the singer's cause of death. "I met Michael with propofol. This was not something I introduced to Michael," he added. (Billboard)

On Monday (November 7), Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor handed the case to the seven-man, five-woman jury Thursday after closing arguments by prosecutor David Walgren and lead defense lawyer Ed Chernoff. Over nearly six weeks of testimony, jurors heard from 33 prosecution witnesses and 16 defense witnesses. More than 340 exhibits were available in the jury room as the panel mulled a verdict. (USA Today)

The jury felt he allowed Jackson to meet his demise in June 2009.

Jackson died in June 2009 from a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol, which Murray acknowledged giving Jackson to help him sleep. Prosecutors contended Murray gave Jackson the fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic in the bedroom of the singer's Southern California mansion. Defense attorneys claimed Jackson gave himself the lethal dose when Murray left the room. (CBS News)

Currently held by authorities, Murray will be formally sentenced at the end of November.

A stone-faced Murray appeared to show no emotion as the verdict was read. Sentencing was set for November 29, with Murray facing up to four years in prison on the conviction. Judge Michael Pastor ordered Murray to be held without bail until that date, and Murray was led from the courtroom in handcuffs. (CNN)

For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out

blog comments powered by Disqus