News: Drake's Free NYC Concert Nixed Over Security Concerns
Thursday, Jul 8, 2010 11:25AM
Security concerns will keep Young Money's Drake from performing during ABC's "Good Morning America" concert series in New York.
According to reports, the concert would have been scheduled for mid-July.
ABC decided not to book the 23-year-old Canadian rapper for a July 16 show in Central Park after the NYPD told the city Parks Department that Parks' security plan wasn't up to snuff, Parks and police sources said. The concert was going to be part of ABC's "Good Morning America" summer concert series, which has already featured megastars Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and Alicia Keys. "We were interested in having Drake perform, but he was never officially booked," an ABC spokesperson said yesterday without elaborating. A spokesperson for Drake confirmed there was a "booking in place," but declined to comment further. (New York Daily News)
Last month, Drake had a Manhattan concert shut down by New York City police over safety issues.
The Toronto-born hip-hopper along with boy band Hanson & DJ Ninjasonik, were scheduled to perform a free concert at the South Street Seaport Tuesday evening. But when thousands of people showed up at the "Feels Like Paper" event things got rowdy and chaotic, causing officials to cancel the show. The show was off to a late start, so fans began to throw chairs and get disorderly, witnesses told NBC NewYork. Pictures show tens of thousands of fans packed like sardines at Pier 17, where ambulance and fire trucks were parked ready for disaster. (NBC News)
Following the show being called off, Drake issued a public statement.
"I am humbled by the crowd that showed up in support of my performance and the release of Thank Me Later," Drake said in a statement. "I love performing for my fans, but unfortunately, the show was canceled by the NYPD due to overcrowding, leaving me without the chance to give my fans a real show. I'm thankful for the support that the fans have been giving me ... I thank you now." (Statement)
Aside from concerts, Drake's Thank Me Later debut has continued its dominance on the sales charts.
Young Money rapper Drake's Thank Me Later also stayed put at No. 2 with 104,900. With three weeks in the books, the Canadian-based emcee's debut has moved 708,900 units. (SOHH Sales Wrap)
Check out footage from Drake's shut down New York City show down below:
For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out GetFrush.com.