News: 8Ball & MJG Received Diddy's Approval To Leave Bad Boy, "It Was A Mutual Agreement To Move On"
Wednesday, Apr 7, 2010 11:45AM
Former Bad Boy artists 8Ball & MJG have explained why they broke ties with Diddy's label last year.
According to 8Ball, they reached a mutual decision with Diddy.
"Long story short it was the best thing for both parties at the time," he explained in an interview. "We never had super crazy stuff happening but just people in general and fans when they heard we went with Bad Boy they were happy. Some of our core fans didn't feel like it was a fit and a lot of them voiced that...We felt like our relationship ran its course and we did what was necessary to end the relationship." (XXL Mag)
MJG also agreed with the move and said it was time to advance their careers.
"We really just moved on because it was time to do something different," he added. "It was never really a long-term thing. It was a mutual agreement to move on and we went on to the next business venture." (XXL Mag)
Last year, 8Ball said there was no room for growth at the label.
"Yeah, I mean with the Bad Boy situation, man, I think it just kind of ran its course with us, man," he explained. "I think there really wasn't no more that could happen for us [over there] or whatever." (VIBE)
The duo joined forces with Diddy roughly a decade ago.
8Ball & MJG eventually left Suave for a major label, JCOR/Interscope, in 2000, and then were signed by Diddy to Bad Boy Records, resulting in their most commercially successful album to date, Living Legends (2004). In addition, 8Ball & MJG recorded individually, the former by far the more prolific of the two. Despite never crossing over into the mainstream -- none of their singles ever broke into the Billboard Hot 100, for example, not even once they signed to Bad Boy -- and despite occasionally infrequent output, 8Ball & MJG persevered over the decades. (Billboard)
Check out 8Ball & MJG's "Forever" music video below: