News: Geto Boys' Willie D Comes Clean On Wire Fraud, Admits $132K iPhone Scam

Friday, Dec 18, 2009 5:55PM

Written by Biz Jones

Geto Boys' Willie D has reportedly pleaded guilty to wire fraud charges, admitted to being the mastermind behind a $132,000 iPhone scam and is facing 20 years in prison.

Willie D will be officially sentenced next April.

He pleaded guilty in Houston to wire fraud over the bogus sale of iPhones and other electronics. Prosecutors say the 42-year-old artist, whose real name is William James Dennis, pleaded guilty Friday over purported sales through a company called Texas One Wireless. Sentencing is April 23 for Dennis, who faces up to 20 years in prison. (Houston Chronicle)

According to reports, D's victims were mostly comprised of international customers.

This morning the Geto Boys MC and Dirty South pioneer went before District Court Judge Gray Miller at a hearing and confessed to posing as an electronics salesman and using eBay to establish his credibility with international buyers. Once he had a fish on the line, the rapper, born Willie James Dennis, would reel them outside of eBay via email. Most if not all of the rapper's victims were overseas. The Department of Justice reports that 29 people were defrauded of about $132,303 between September 2008 and April 2009. (Houston Press)

The rapper was indicted in early June 2009.

Rapper William Dennis, aka Willie D, was indicted by a grand jury on 15 counts of wire fraud. The investigation leading to Dennis' arrest came after one of the overseas purchasers filed a complaint with law enforcement authorities. Wire fraud carries a maximum punishment, upon conviction, of 20 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine. Dennis is currently on bond pending trial in this case which is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Sherri L. Zack. (MyFox News)

He was initially taken in by authorities a month prior.

William James Dennis, also known as "Willie D" is charged with wire fraud stemming from his alleged sales of Apple iPhones through a company known as Texas One Wireless. Dennis was arrested at Bush Intercontinental Airport Wednesday after returning from a trip overseas. If convicted, Dennis could be sentenced to up to 20 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine, followed by up to five years of supervised release and restitution to the victims. (KTRK News)

No further details have been released as of now.

For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out

blog comments powered by Disqus