News: 50 Cent Hints At Underground Retirement, "After That, I Won't Offer Any Mixtape Material" [Video]
Tuesday, Dec 1, 2009 10:20AM
50 Cent recently discussed his forthcoming mixtape, which was initially scheduled to drop alongside his latest album Before I Self Destruct, and promised that it will be his last street release.
50 said he has no plans to offer more mixtape material after dropping his next underground project.
"Well the next mixtape was already, portions of it was already recorded before the release of Before I Self Destruct but I didn't want to release it before [or] so close to the actual album that people would make comparisons between the material," Fif explained in an interview. "Because they're both up to standard, I felt that my core that really enjoys the aggressive content might enjoy the mixtape and try to compare it to what I did, performance-wise, to what I actually did on the actual record. I know hands-down the album is better, but I just didn't want to put it out there at that point. So after that, I won't offer any mixtape material." (VIBE)
Referring to the old-school vibes of his Forever King and Sincerely Yours mixtapes, Fif previously gave props to New York's Hot 97 radio station deejay Mister Cee and revealed his mixtape secrets.
"It'll be some more records there playing," 50 said in an interview. "Mister Cee plays a lot of that music still, 'Old School At Noon.' I had Cee send me a CD that he thought would be hot to hear. Even some of his favorites, I listen to 'em and production-wise, I wanted them to still meet what the youthful audience feels is hot right now. So some of those records, some of the things they were saying was cool that I could have wrote from that perspective like writing a remix is easy. Like writing a song that already has the context of the song already there is easy for me. Then it's not process, it's just putting the words to the scenario. If you have a production plan but no idea where you're going or what to write, that's when it starts to get difficult. Mixtape material is easy for me. Two days, three days, [I record it]. I know who I'm talking to." (MTV)
Last summer, 50 promised to keep offering fans free music.
"I'm pressing the re-start button man," Fif said in an interview. "I need a record deal, anybody that'll sign me? We gonna go to the second mixtape, the next mixtape will be out July 3rd, it's called Forever King, I'll put another one out right after. War Angel, that's out now. I don't care, I just wanna make music. Sometimes I get in pocket, where I'm in a good space creatively and I can write anything. I wrote four records just last night. Like I've been up for almost 43 hours." (Radio Planet TV)
Other artists have pulled away from the mixtape hustle including Chamillionaire.
"It's your boy Chamillionaire," he said in a video. "We're officially signing off. [August 4th], that's the official date for Mixtape Messiah Part 7. Get it on Chamillionaire.com when the counter runs down. Download it, take it, do whatever you want with it, but just know this is the final chapter. No more, done. We're moving on to something else, bigger and better things. I'ma call 'em authorized leaks. CDs and songs that I authorize to be in the public. Real, real material, not jacking everybody else's beats. We creating a whole bunch of new, fresh, innovative material so y'all know what it is." (Chamillionaire TV)
Check out 50 Cent speaking on his alleged "final" mixtape below: