News: Yung Joc Announces Bad Boy/Block Ent. Freedom, "I Just Got My Release"
Thursday, Nov 5, 2009 9:30AM
After his highly publicized dispute with Diddy's Bad Boy Records and Block Entertainment earlier this year, Yung Joc has announced his official departure from contractual obligations.
According to Joc, label talks have already begun to take place.
"I just got my release and one of the terms of the release was a defamation clause, so honestly, I can't really talk about it too much," Joc revealed in an interview. "I've been released, severed the business ties. May God bless them and their regime, but I'm doing my own thing now. I'm actually in negotiations right now with a few labels. I just choose not to call out the different entities. Things are looking very good, God is very good. When I was going through this whole thing with the Bad Boy/Block situation, I didn't know what the other side was going to be. I didn't know if there was going to be light on the other end. I was hopeful, but it's actually working out for the best. I ain't mad, nobody's mad right now, everything is good." (Baller Status)
The Southern rapper updated fans on the status of his release last month.
"I was seeking a release from the regime that I was a part of and I knew that when I got my release, the streets [and] the fans, they don't really give a sh*t about all the woes and the troubles you going through with a label," Joc said about releasing his free Grind Flu mixtape. "They on to the next thing so that sh*t don't matter to 'em. So you gotta give 'em more than just a story. Give 'em some music and that' what I decided to do...Also,I knew that in the process of me getting released [from Bad Boy], if I get a release, the next label is gonna wanna hear some music... Due to the terms of my release, I can't talk about the brother. God bless him... I got a few offers on the table... Right now, I'm doing what you would call, a lot of negotiating. Not a lot of BS'ing because these people know I'm very serious about my business." (This Is 50)
Prior to being freed, Joc discussed his intent to drop a collection of free mixtapes.
"Honestly, there is no current situation with Bad Boy right now," Joc explained in an interview. "We've been in talks about me being possibly released. I don't think at the present time that that regime is the right outfit for me at the moment considering I work very hard as an artist and I'm still in a position where I'm not able to put out my music because of some conflicts of interest. Currently at the moment, there are definitely some talks between myself and Bad Boy, the attorneys, to push for a release. Why am I even signed if I can't put my music out? Yeah, I'm being held back in a sense. It's no hard feelings and once again it's no regrets...We in lawsuits, I can't release an album commercially and it is what it is..." (Rolling Out TV)
He also broke down the specifics behind his issues with Bad Boy over the summer.
"I haven't been paid any royalties since I've been out, after over a million albums sold," Joc said in an interview. "For my first album, they gave me a $25,000 advance when I was supposed to get more...Then I had a million dollar budget for my second album, never even got an advance off of it. For the third one they hit me with another $25,000, like I'm some chump in this sh*t. And I just got tired of it...Diddy said he's got to stay out of it because it's between me and Block Entertainment. I was never signed to Block Entertainment, but they've been interfering with a lot of my business. I feel like [Bad Boy] isn't doing anything to try to intervene and help the situation." (Billboard)
Check out Yung Joc speaking on Bad Boy Entertainment below:
For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out GetFrush.com.