News: Drake Prepared For Lil Wayne's Jail Bid, "I'll Just Do What I Can To Keep The Whole Team Going"
Friday, Oct 30, 2009 11:30AM
Young Money's Drake has shared his reaction to Lil Wayne's speculated one-year jail sentence and said he is willing to lead the Young Money/Cash Money camp until the rapper returns home.
Aside from his initial shock, Drake also said he felt Weezy could easily overcome his time behind bars.
"He's dealing with it well," Drizzy revealed in an interview. "Wayne's not usually gonna open up emotionally and tell you how he's really feeling about anything. He's kinda more concerned about getting as much music as he possibly can, so that when he's in there, people are still satisfied musically with Lil Wayne product, and that's just the mind of a true businessman. I'll just do what I can to keep the whole Young Money/Cash Money team going, and I just want to play my part as a team member and keep the brand strong until the boss gets home...He's like superhuman. I don't think anything could really break his concentration or his zone when he's in there. I definitely didn't think this would be the outcome of it, but I hope it will add to him selling a million records again. It's an unfortunate situation and I hope that he'll be able to position it where his release is a day where everyone's excited and they're just excited about his new album. I hope he manages to market it the right way." (Rap-Up)
Cash Money Records founders Bryan "Baby" Williams and Ronald "Slim" Williams released a statement on Wayne's position last week.
"The Cash Money family will continue to support our artist and friend Lil Wayne in his current court case. We have worked with Wayne since he was a teenager, and have seen him grow into one of the world's most successful hip-hop artists, with a work ethic that is second to none. Wayne has our love and commitment during this difficult time. We always have and always will stand behind him. -Ronald "Slim" Williams and Bryan "Baby" Williams, Cash Money Records, Oct. 23, 2009" (Statement)
New York attorney Scott Leemon previously weighed in on the seriousness of Wayne's case.
Had the rapper not struck a deal with prosecutors, he could have been looking at a mandatory minimum of three and a half years in prison if he was found guilty by trial. It's worth noting that the minimum sentence was raised in 2006 after the New York Legislature passed a bill that increased the mark at the behest of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "Basically, the old law required someone to have a loaded weapon and intend to use it [before] the mandatory minimum would kick in," Leemon said in an interview. "And basically, what they did is they took that out of the law. So the mere possession of a loaded weapon in New York State is a felony. That's why you should not have a gun in New York." (MTV)
Wayne's plea deal on felony gun possession and drug charges was confirmed last week.
Lil Wayne has pleaded guilty to attempted weapon possession, and expects to receive a one-year jail sentence. He previously had pleaded not guilty to illegal gun possession charges that carried at least 3 1/2 years in prison upon conviction. His trial had been due to start Jan. 20. (Associated Press)
Check out a recent Lil Wayne interview below:
For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out GetFrush.com.