News: Nas Inks Open Letter In Light Of Teen's Brutal Death, "What Are We Really Proving??"
Tuesday, Sep 29, 2009 3:00PM
Grammy-nominated rapper Nas has written an open letter to the youth in light of the brutal death of 16 year-old high school student Derrion Albert last week in Illinois.
Writing via a blog posting, Nas explained the importance of life and not trying to reflect fictional characters in movies including his own 1998 film, Belly.
"Dear Young Warriors fighting the wrong wars!," Nas wrote Monday evening (September 28). "Killing each other is definitely played out. Being hurt from the lost of a love one was never cool. Dear Young Warriors fighting the wrong war! I know that feeling, that frustration with life and needing to take it out on someone, any one. But....We chose the dumbest things to go the hardest for. I remember seeing deaths over 8 ball jackets, Fila sneakers, and name plate chains. Deaths over 'he say, she say'!!!!! 'I'm from this block or I'm from that block', or 'my moms n pops is f*cked up now the whole world gotta pay'!!! I remember feeling like I was the hardest 'n*gga" breathing. And I couldn't wait to prove it. But let's think. What are we really proving?? And proving what to who?? Everybody knows Chicago breeds the strongest of the strong but I just feel, me, being ya brother from another state feels your pain as if I grew up with you in ya very own household...Young warriors.... We are WASTING more and more time. We gotta get on our jobs and take over the world. Cuz this movie left the theaters years ago, Juice, Menace, Boys n the Hood , Blood n Blood Out, Belly! ..." (Global Grind)
The violent death made headlines last Thursday (September 24) afternoon.
Four teenagers have been charged in the beating death of Albert, a 16-year-old who was beaten with railroad ties and stomped to death when he had the misfortune of walking into a street fight between two gangs of youths. It happened outside a Chicago community center, and police were able to identify suspects thanks to an amateur video of the fight. (Kansas City Star)
Two of the students mothers reacted towards learning about their sons committing the crime.
Two South Side mothers on Monday (September 28) confronted the brutal violence their sons are accused of as formal charges against the teens were filed and images of them allegedly beating and stomping to death another teenager made national news. One tearfully said she could not bear to look at the video. The other regretfully acknowledged it was her son on the video depicting the fatal beating of Fenger High School student Derrion Albert, 16. (Chicago Breaking News)
Charges against the attackers have already been placed into action.
Four teenagers were charged Monday with murder in the death of the student, Derrion Albert, 16, who the authorities said had unknowingly walked into the path of a brawl between rival groups. Derrion, whose beating was captured by a passer-by on a widely broadcast amateur video that the police are studying, is the third student killed since the school year began, school officials said. (The New York Times)
CNN coverage of Derrion Albert's death has landed online: