News: C-Murder Trial Begins W/ Teen Victim's Father Testifying
Wednesday, Aug 5, 2009 2:20PM
The murder trial for incarcerated rapper Corey "C-Murder" Miller began today (August 5) with the slain teenage victim's father taking the stand.
George Thomas recounted the evening his 16 year-old son was allegedly killed by Miller.
Mr. Thomas said he got a call at 1 a.m. on the night his son was shot. It was from the bouncer at the Platinum Club. Thomas went to the club after the call, and a deputy told him Steve had been shot. Thomas then went to West Jefferson Medical Center but was unable to see his son. "The doctor said he did everything he could, but Steve was dead," Thomas testified in a shaky voice, wiping away tears. "I took all that junk he had on the wall and threw it in the garbage can," he said. (NOLA News)
The jury selection process took place earlier this week.
Opening arguments are under way in the murder trial of Corey Miller, a New Orleans rapper known as C-Murder. It took only two days to seat 12 jurors and two alternates before testimony began Wednesday, although the defense had argued it would be impossible to get a fair jury in Jefferson Parish, where the slaying took place. (Associated Press)
He recently had his murder trial re-location request denied after attorney Ron Rakosky argued the media's coverage would prevent a fair trial.
Assistant Jefferson Parish District Attorney David Wolff said Rakosky was making the same arguments he had made when a previous change-of-venue motion was denied in April. 24th Judicial District Court Judge Hans Liljeberg denied the request for a change of venue. He said 14 mock jurors were chosen in April after an earlier request to move the trial. Those mock jurors were questioned about their knowledge of the case and "it was clear to everybody that Mr. Miller can get a fair trial." A panel of 39 potential jurors was sworn in for the jury-selection process around 10 a.m. today. Liljeberg warned them that the trial could last two weeks. (The Times-Picayune)
An associate of Miller said he was responsible for the teen's murder last month.
A Louisiana judge has refused to postpone next month's trial. Prosecutors wanted a delay so they could investigate a claim by another man that he killed the teenager. Judge Hans Liljeberg ruled that prosecutors have less than two weeks to investigate allegations raised by Miller's attorney that associate Juan Flowers killed Steve Thomas on Jan. 12, 2002. (Newsday)
Footage of a separate, attempted murder charge, shooting landed online earlier this summer.
For the latest gadgets, gear and giveaways, check out GetFrush.com.