News: Lil Wayne's Request To Block "Carter" Doc Denied Again, Must Pay $5K Sanctions
Monday, Jun 15, 2009 12:00PM
Lil Wayne's request to stop the release of QD3 Entertainment documentary The Carter has been denied once again by a state court judge late last week.
Despite claims of "private and sensitive" footage, Weezy's doc will land in stores later this year.
California Superior Court Judge Michael Mink denied Lil Wayne's request to prevent the release of cited material in an upcoming documentary about the rapper. The documentary was the subject of deliberations on Friday (June 12). The film will be released by Digerati. In addition, Mink awarded sanctions against Wayne and his attorneys in the amount of $5,000, which must be paid within a 30-day period. Wayne must appear for deposition at Digerati's attorney's offices by July 31, during which time he will explain what exactly he finds harmful in the documentary pertaining to his current criminal cases. (New Lil Wayne)
Weezy's request was previously denied earlier this year by Mink.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael S. Mink denied Wayne's request for a preliminary injunction this week. QD3 executive Quincy Jones III said the ruling frees his company to seek distribution of the film. "We're very pleased with the court's decision," Jones said. "We made a great film, which was incredibly well received at Sundance, and showcases Lil Wayne's extraordinary talent." (Variety)
The rapper filed a lawsuit in April 2009 regarding a "scandalous portrayal" of himself in the Sundance documentary.
The suit charges that Bernie Madoff's movie production company promised to give Lil Wayne approval over the final cut, but they didn't. And instead they presented an attempted scandalous "documentary" at Sundance. And to get into all of this, Wayne's lawyers decided to lead their complaint with Bernie Madoff, drawing some bizarre connection that we now live in the age of people conning other people. Probably the most interesting thing is that one of the defendants is Quincy Jones' son, Quincy Delight Jones III. The papers also state he uses the pseudonym QD3. (Radar Online)
While financial damages never emerged, he did cite breach of contact in the suit.
Wayne allowed Digerati Holdings and QD3 Entertainment to shoot a docu-film about him. The movie company, in turn, promised to give him approval over the final cut. In early December last year, the companies screened the film for Lil Wayne's manager, who advised them to remove objectionable content from the film. They sent another clip in January to the manager for review and approval. The manager once more demanded that all objectionable content be removed. Instead of doing so, they allegedly presented a "scandalous portrayal" of the rapper at Sundance without his approval. (All Headline News)