News: Snoop Dogg's $22 Mil Beatdown Case Tossed, Rapper's Name Cleared
Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:01AM
West Coast rap veteran Snoop Dogg has been cleared of his $22 million assault and battery case filed against him over an alleged beatdown from a 2005 concert.
The decision was made yesterday (May 8) afternoon.
The rapper wasn't in court Friday when the jury's verdict cleared him of civil assault and battery claims. The jury did find that Richard Monroe Jr. suffered serious injuries during the concert and awarded him $449,400 in damages to be paid by a record label, another performer and others involved in the concert. The damages awarded were substantially lower than the $22 million Monroe sought when he sued the rapper in 2006 and jurors found that Snoop doesn't personally owe Monroe anything. (Associated Press)
With nearly two weeks of testifying, Snoop described what happened during the incident which allegedly involved The Game.
Snoop, whose real name is Calvin Broadus, said that he feared for his life when Monroe, who's suing the rapper for $22 million, hopped onstage--only to be swarmed by Snoop's bodyguards and other rappers, including fellow Los Angeles-area native The Game. He has no idea who hit Monroe, Snoop said, adding that he only witnessed the fight for a moment before his security team whisked him to safety. He once considered suing Monroe for attacking him, he said. (E! Online)
The rapper also claimed he was assaulted while performing at the Seattle concert.
Snoop is on the stand, and said he was the one who was attacked -- and thought about suing Monroe. He says a medic came to the bus to check on his hand -- and reiterated that he never hit Monroe with the microphone. Snoop says he's positive he didn't invite Monroe onstage. He said he never invites people on stage except backup dancers. (TMZ)
Snoop's lawyer, Hayes Michel, previously questioned Monroe's claims.
Michel said that a video of the incident did not show the rapper hitting Mr. Monroe and there was no reason for him to pay damages. The lawyer also claimed that Mr. Monroe had repeatedly changed both his story about the event and his description to doctors of his injuries and concluded "it's not the evidence of someone who was savagely beaten." (BBC News)