News: Coolio's International Tour Shut Down, Crack Cocaine Charges Cited
Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 10:25AM
Grammy-winning rapper Coolio's upcoming Australian tour has reportedly been canceled as a result of his current legal troubles.
Although he is not due in court until next month, the rapper will not be spending his time touring the globe.
Coolio's Oz tour cancelled after drug charge. The rapper has been forced to cancel his Australian tour after the Grammy-winning emcee was charged with drug possession. A spokeswoman for Coolio's Australian tour says the pending charges mean he will be unable to travel Down Under. He was due to kick off his tour in Melbourne this Friday, before heading to Perth, Sydney and the Gold Coast. It is unclear whether the shows will be re-scheduled. (ABC News)
Initial concern over the status of his tour grew after he was arrested last week.
Coolio's Australian tour is under a cloud after he was arrested at Los Angeles airport for drug possession. He is booked to play Billboard in Russell St on Friday as part of his Australian tour. Publicist Petrina Convey said she had no idea whether the rapper's tour was on or off. "We've spoken to his management in the US, but they aren't telling us anything," she said. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship is monitoring the situation. (Herald Sun)
The popular 1990's rapper received multiple charges Tuesday (March 10) afternoon which could ultimately lead to time behind bars.
Coolio was charged with one felony count of possession, and one misdemeanor count each of battery and possession of paraphernalia. He was released on $10,000 bail and is scheduled for arraignment April 3. (Associated Press)
His publicized incident took place last Friday (March 6) at Los Angeles International Airport.
The Grammy-winning performer, whose real name is Artis Leon Ivey, was taken into custody at the airport on Friday after authorities said they found the drug and a crack pipe in his luggage. The battery charge was included because the performer grabbed an airport screener's arm to prevent the search of his luggage, said Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney. He faces a maximum sentence of three years in state prison if convicted and is scheduled to appear in court on April 3. (Reuters)